NEW DELHI :
THE Supreme Court on Tuesday
said it would constitute a highpowered committee comprising
retired apex court and High Court
judges, a former DGP, and an exCBI director to examine allegations of police excesses against
student protesters in Delhi
recently and violence against
police personnel.
A bench of Chief Justice Surya
Kant and justices Joymalya
Bagchi and V Mohana said an
order for constituting the committee would be released on
Wednesday after it receives suggestions from different parties on
other members to be included
in the panel.
It said the high-powered committee will be entrusted with the
task of fact-finding and it will be
provided with all the necessary
facilities.
“We are quite sure that the
committee will give an immediate voice and audience to any victim who approaches it. We will
await the recommendations
which the committee will make
from time to time, and the necessary legal consequences would
follow,” the top court said, after
counsel for several petitioners
submitted they were targeted by
the authorities and public for
participating in the protest.
The court said that the committee will also look into allegations concerning sexual assault
and online harassment of female
protestors and victimisation of
other vulnerable persons through
social media.
“Whosoever is responsible,
there can be no excuse and no
justification. It must be taken seriously and taken to its logical conclusion. That is why we are constituting a high-powered committee. The committee will look
into each and every aspect of
these matters,” CJI Kant said,
adding that the panel would also
examine complaints and allegations made by female protesters
who were reportedly targeted during the protest march in Delhi and
other areas.
The top court further said that
it would direct the handing over
of video footage and CCTV recordings of the violence during the July
20 Parliament march in Delhi to
the high-powered committee for
examination.
The bench was hearing a batch
of pleas alleging police excesses
against student protesters during
the agitation spearheaded by the
Cockroach Janta Party (CJP) and
allegations of violence against
police personnel. The bench
asked Solicitor General Tushar
Mehta to furnish details of FIRs
implicating the student protesters, which are to be quashed, indicating that the court may exercise its plenary powers under
Article 142 of the Constitution.
“It is the life of students, which
is at stake. We have to consider
this. They have a future ahead.
They have the right to protest
under Article 19,” the bench told
a counsel, opposing quashing of
cases against student protesters
without them tendering an apology. Mehta said police had identified more than 2,800 “anti-social
elements”, who had been involved
in heinous offences in the past,
as responsible for the violence
during the July 20 protest.
Senior advocates Menaka
Guruswamy, Vrinda Grover and
N Hariharan, appearing for several victims of violence said that
police were not authorised to use
surveillance techniques, facial
recognition and other digital
tracking methods and store data
with a private entity, as it was a
violation of their privacy. The
bench said the constitutional
questions concerning facial
recognition technology, surveillance, privacy and Article 21 will
ultimately be decided by the court
itself, and not by the committee.
“The committee will only
examine the factual questions,
including whether the use of force
was excessive. Pursuant to its
report, the larger legal and constitutional questions concerning
facial recognition technology will
be considered by this court,” it
said.