C’garh Govt orders judicial probe in 2009 Naxal attack
   Date :09-Sep-2019

CHIEF Minister Bhupesh Baghel announced judicial probe by a retired High Court Justice into the Madanwada incident which had led to the brutal killing of 30 security personnel including the then Rajnandgaon Superintendent of Police late Vinod Chaubey who had been decorated with Kirti Chakra.
 
 
The Chief Minister announced the judicial probe on Saturday while unveiling a 12-ft tall statue of late Vinod Choubey in front of Civil Lines police station at Bilaspur. Ranjana Chaubey, widow of late Vinod Chaubey was also present on the occasion along with Home Minister Tamradhawaj Sahu. The 12-ft high statue was constructed at a cost of Rs 45 lakh by Bilaspur Municipal Corporation.
 
 
While paying his rich tributes to late Vinod Chaubey, the Chief Minister said brutal killing of 29 security personnel and late Vinod Chaubey during Naxal encounter in Madanwada is not a simple incident. Hence his Government had decided to order a detailed probe by a retired High Court Justice, which would bring forth the truth of the incident. He said late Chaubey was a simple and a man of few words and was instrumental in destroying Urban Maoists Network in Chhattisgarh.
 
 
It is worth mentioning here that 30 security personnel including late Vinod Choubey, were killed in ambushes and landmine attacks by Maoists in three separate incidents in Madanwada and nearby areas in Rajnandgaon on July 12, 2009. In one of the incidents, two security men were killed in an encounter with Maoists in Madanwada. Subsequently, the then Rajnandgaon SP late Vinod Choubey rushed to the spot along with reinforcement. When late Choubey was heading to the spot along with his team, Maoists ambushed them, killing him and other police personnel accompanying him.
 
 
The Chief Minister while lauding late Choubey’s courage and valour, said he had then visited the encounter spot to understand the incident. He added that he came to know that SP Choubey and his men bravely fought ultras for about five hours but surprisingly, no additional forces were sent for their support.
 
 
If additional security forces had been sent to the spot, the incident could have been averted. The incident should have been probed at that time. He said while in Opposition he had tried several times for an inquiry and also had submitted gave a memorandum seeking probe to the then Governor, but no probe was ordered then.
 
 
Baghel said now that a probe has been ordered, the kin of the martyrs should be ensured justice. Hence on the request of ‘Shaheed Vinod Choubey Charitable Trust’, he announced to conduct a judicial inquiry into the incident, he added.
Home Minister Tamradhawaj Sahu and Agricultuer Minister Ravindra Chaubey also addressed the gathering. Bilaspur MLA Shailesh Pandey, Takhatpur MLA Rashmi Singh, Bilaspur Mayor Kishore Rai, former Mayor Vani Rao, Vijay Kesarwani, Taiyyab Hussain, Abhay Narayan Rai, Collector Dr Sanjay Alang, SP Prashant Agrawal and large number of public representatives were present on the occasion.