Rahul Gandhi, Priyanka Gandhi Vadra detained by UP Police, released later
   Date :02-Oct-2020

Rahul Gandhi_1  
CONGRESS leaders Rahul Gandhi and Priyanka Gandhi Vadra were on Thursday detained by the Uttar Pradesh police after they were stopped on the Yamuna Expressway in Greater Noida while walking towards Hathras to meet the rape victim’s family. Sources said they were taken away in a police jeep and kept in a guest house for sometime after which they were released. Police said they were charged for alleged violation of prohibitory orders issued under CrPC section 144.
They were also charged with violation of the orders related to the Epidemic Diseases Act, imposed in view of the COVID-19 outbreak, and booked under IPC section 188 (disobedience to order duly promulgated by a public servant), a senior Gautam Buddh Nagar police officer said. Rahul Gandhi also fell down in the scuffle after police tried to stop him and his supporters from proceeding on the Yamuna Expressway near the Jewar toll plaza. Pictures of the incident were shared by the party.
The Congress had said that the Gandhis were arrested by the police. “Shri Rahul Gandhi, Smt Priyanka Gandhi and senior Congress leaders have been arrested by the UP police,” the Congress said on Twitter, using the hashtag “JusticeForIndiasDaughters”. Priyanka Gandhi also alleged that the police used lathis on the Congress workers and many of them were injured.
Rahul Gandhi earlier questioned senior UP cops under which law was he being stopped as all he wanted was to walk alone towards Hathras to meet the rape victim’s family. “Can you tell me under which law can you stop me from marching towards Hathras,” he asked the police personnel. “I want to go alone to Hathras and on what basis can you arrest me,” he added, to which the cops told him that he had violated Section 188 of the IPC of disobeying orders promulgated by the Government during the pandemic. The 19-year-old woman was allegedly raped at a village in Hathras by four men on September 14. After her condition deteriorated, she was referred to the Delhi's Safdarjung hospital where she breathed her last on Tuesday.