THE death toll in China’s coronavirus outbreak rose to 490 on Wednesday while the total number of confirmed cases mounted to 24,324, Chinese health officials announced on Wednesday. A total of 490 people had died after being infected and 24,324 confirmed cases of novel coronavirus infection had been reported in 31 provincial-level regions, China’s National Health Commission reported. It said 65 deaths were reported on Tuesday, all from Hubei province and its capital Wuhan.
Also 3,887 new confirmed cases of novel coronavirus infection were reported on Tuesday, it said. Also on Tuesday, 431 patients became seriously ill, while 262 were discharged from hospital after recovery. The commission added that 3,219 patients remained in severe condition and 23,260 people were suspected of being infected with the virus. A total of 892 people had been discharged from hospital after recovery, it said. Over 2.52 lakh who were in close contacts with patients had been traced with over 1.85 lakh others still under medical observation, it added.
India on Tuesday further tightened visa rules by cancelling the existing visas for Chinese and foreigners who had visited the country in the last two weeks. On February 2, India temporarily suspended e-visa facility for Chinese travellers and foreigners residing in China in view of the outbreak. Currently, 647 Indians and seven Maldivians, who have been evacuated from Wuhan and Hubei are in 14-day quarantine at a medical camp in Manesar, near Delhi.