AFTER more than three months of an arduous fight, Wuhan, the city located at the heart of China and epicentre of the coronavirus outbreak, has cleared all remaining cases related to the deadly infection in its hospitals, health authorities told Xinhua news agency on Sunday. This came as a 77-year-old man surnamed Ding tested negative for the second time for coronavirus in the capital city of Hubei province. He no longer had clinical symptoms and was able to be discharged, an official with Wuhan Municipal Health Commission was quoted as saying.
Mi Feng, a spokesperson for the National Health Commission, said at a press conference in Beijing that the outcome was earned through the hardwork of medical workers in Wuhan and those sent from across the country. Nearly 3 million people have been reported to be infected globally and more than 200,000 have died, as per records of US-based Johns Hopkins University. However, the Chinese mainland, by Saturday, registered 82,827 COVID-19 cases and stated that more than 93.4 per cent of them had been recovered.
Meanwhile, Sunday’s announcement was a new testament that the local spread of COVID-19 in the country has been curbed. This came five days after its cases dropped to double digits and less than 70 days after daily hospitalised cases peaked at 38,020. “It is a historic day,” said Shang You, a critical care unit doctor in Wuhan said. “We have been waiting for this day for so long,” he added. Beginning from January 23, Wuhan was put under a lockdown that lasted 76 days.