Fall in supply jacks up vegetable prices
   Date :02-Aug-2020

 vegetable prices_1 
 
 
Business Bureau :
 
THE local supply of vegetables from nearby areas of Nagpur has witnessed a significant drop that has resulted in prices shooting up in the wholesale market. Currently, local supplies constitute about 10 per cent of the total vegetables unloaded at the Mahatma Phule Wholesale Market, popularly known as Cotton Market. The rest 90 per cent is being brought from far-off places to meet the requirements of consumers. “The prices of vegetables have shot up due to lower supplies and in some cases prices have doubled as compared a month ago,” said Ram Mahajan, Secretary of Mahatma Phule Sabji Bazaar Association while talking to The Hitavada on Wednesday.
 
As a regular practice, during the months of June and July, most of the farmers start to sow their fields and get ready for the new season. Currently, about 50 to 60 small and medium size tempos and small trucks unload vegetables at the wholesale market. Earlier, there used to be more than 200 vehicles coming to the market, he said. Cauliflower is being brought from Aurangabad, Tomato from Banglaluru, Capsicum from Bhilai, Tondri and Parwal from Chhattisgarh, Fenugreek Leaf (Methi) from Pandharpur, Lady’s Finger from Raipur etc., are being unloaded from far away places at the Mahatma Phule Wholesale Market, he said.
 
The prices of vegetables being quoted at the wholesale market on Thursday are as follows: Brinjal Rs 20 per kilo to Rs 25 per kilo, Lady’s Finger Rs 40 per kilo, Cauliflower Rs 50 per kg to Rs 60 per kg, Cabbage Rs 25 per kg to Rs 30 per kg, Capsicum Rs 50 per kilo, Coriander Leaf Rs 60 per kg, Spinach Rs 30 per kilo, Pumpkin Rs 30-40 per kilo, Cucumber Rs 40 per kilo to 40 per kilo, Tomato Rs 40 per kilo, Carrot Rs 40 per kilo, Radish Rs 40 per kilo, Green Chilli Rs 40 per kilo, Cluster Beans Rs 40 per kilo, Bitter Gourd Rs 40 per kilo, Bottle Gourd Rs 40 per kilo, Parwal Rs 50 per kilo and Fenugreek Leaf Rs 30 per kilo depending on the quality, he said. However, it is expected that the local vegetable supplies will start arriving at the market from end of August in large quantities and cool down prices to a large extent, Mahajan pointed out.