Four of a family injured in blast due to LPG cylinder leakage in Chitar Oli
   Date :10-Oct-2021

blast_1  H x W:
Staff Reporter :
LEAKAGE of gas from an LPG cylinder triggered a blast on the ground floor of a three-storey building in Chitar Oli, Mahal, injuring four persons of a family, three of them seriously, in the early hours of Saturday. One of the four walls of the house and false ceiling collapsed in the blast. Due to the impact of the explosion, windowpanes and a television set were smashed and doors badly damaged. After the blast, residents panicked and came out of their houses. Some of them evacuated those residing on the second floor. Around 5.30 am, the explosion took place on the ground floor residence of Gajanan Ramji Bind at House No 1108 in Chitaroli, near Hanuman Mandir, Mahal. The Bind family was asleep when the blast occurred. According to Fire Brigade sources, gas started leaking from one of the four LPG cylinders kept in the house.
The gas accumulated in the house as doors and windows were closed. Somebody switched on the lights before opening the doors and windows resulting into the major blast. The entire house was almost damaged and three members of Bind family suffered serious injuries. Injured Gajanan Bind (60), Urmila Gajanan Bind (55), and Aarti Waman Bind (29) were rushed to the hospital. Sanket Ravindra Wankhede (32) sustained minor injuries. Staff from Fire and Emergency Services Department of Nagpur Municipal Corporation (NMC) rushed to the spot soon after receiving a call at around 5.40 am. Staff from Kotwali Police Station also visited the spot. Firefighters doused the flames erupted after a portion of the house caught fire following the explosion. Household goods in the kitchen, bedroom and living room were damaged. Chief Fire Officer Rajendra Uchake said that the estimated loss due to the explosion was about Rs 10 lakh. Further investigations are underway.