13 bodies recovered from U’khand project sites; toll rises to 51
   Date :15-Feb-2021

NDRF team_1  H
 NDRF team continues rescue operations in Chamoli district on Sunday. (ANI)
 
TAPOVAN/DEHRADUN ;
 
RESCUE teams on Sunday recovered 13 more bodies, including the first ones to be pulled out from the sludge-choked Tapovan tunnel where a massive operation to reach about 30 people trapped inside began after a flash flood in Chamoli district a week ago. Six bodies were recovered from the Tapovan power project tunnel, six from Raini upstream and one from the riverbank in Rudraprayag, taking the confirmed death toll in the Uttarakhand disaster to 51. Officials said over 150 people still remain missing after the February 7 devastation, possibly triggered by an avalanche in the upper reaches of the Alaknanda river system.
 
A surge of water in Dhauliganga and Rishiganga rivers had ripped through two hydel projects. Bodies of victims were being found at different locations by the river over the past week, but rescuers had so far failed to reach anyone – dead or alive – in the tunnel network at the National Thermal Power Corporation’s 520 MW Tapovan-Vishnugad project. Chamoli District Magistrate Swati S Bhadauria and Superintendent of Police Yashwant Singh Chauhan rushed to the tunnel when the first two bodies were brought out in the early hours of Sunday.
 
Four more bodies were recovered later from the tunnel, which is packed with debris brought by the flash flood. Officials said a helicopter has been kept on standby at the Tapovan rescue site to quickly fly out survivors, if there are any, for medical treatment. The men found dead on Sunday included Alam Singh from Tehri, Anil (Dehradun district) Jitendra Kumar (Jammu), Shesh Nath (Faridabad), JItendra Dhanai (Tehri), Suraj Thakur (Kushinagar) Jugal Kishore (Punjab), Rakesh Kapur (Himachal Pradesh), Harpal Singh (Chamoli), Ved Prakash (Gorakhpur), Dhanurdhari (Gorakhpur). The bodies were kept at a temporary mortuary at Tapovan, officials said.