Shahi Imam withdraws order ongirls’ entry ban in Jama Masjidafter request from Delhi LG
THEJamaMasjidadministration’sdecision restricting entry of “girls” into the famed mosque led to an outrage on Thursdayandtheorderwasfinallywithdrawn following Delhi LG VKSaxena’s request to the Shahi Imam. The notice, which had no date, came up a few days ago outside the three main entry gates of the 17th century Mughal-era mosque thatattracts thousands of devout as well as tourists, sources said.
However, it had come to attention only now. “Jama Masjid mein ladki ya ladkiyon ka akele daakhla mana hai (The entry ofa girl,orgirls is notpermittedinJama Masjid),” read the notice. Earlier in the day, Shahi Imam Syed Ahmed Bukhari said that the decision was taken after some “incidents” were reported on the premises of the heritage structure but it was not applicable to those coming to offer prayers. A controversy erupted overthe issue with women’s rights activists terming the mosque’s decision regressive and unacceptable. Later in the evening, Shahi Imam withdrew the order, after Delhi LG Saxenaspoketohimandrequestedhim to take back the decree. “The LG spoke to me.We have removed notice boards.
But people visiting the mosque have to maintain its sanctity,” Bukhari said. Taking strong exception to the mosque’s order, the National Commission for Women (NCW) asked the Centre and the Delhi Government to take appropriate action against the ban, while Delhi Commission for Women (DCW) chief Swati Maliwal termed it a violation of women’s rights andsoughtadetailedactiontakenreport in the matter by November 28.