Lighting system at Div Sports Complex to be upgraded for BWF Intl Challenge B’minton Meet
THE Indoor Hall of Divisional Sports Complex in Mankapur will be illuminated with new lighting system come September when Nagpur District Badminton Association (NDBA) and Badminton Association of India (BAI) play host to Badminton Federation of India’s (BWF) International Challenge Badminton Championship.
The inspection team of BAI visited the stadium on Friday and was “satisfied with the available facilities” at the venue which will be hosting the prestigious event in two months’ time. With the present lighting system too old, the committee members, who did a recce, requested the local organisers to replace them.
“The BAI delegation was satisfied with the available facilities. But according to them the lighting system is too old and should be upgraded,” Mangesh Kashikar, Secretary NDBA and BAI tournament committee, told ‘The Hitavada’ on Friday. The State government has already decided to change the lighting system and that is likely to be done in time.
“A few days back I had a talk with the then State Sports Minister Sunil Kedar. The tender process has already been started for upgradation of the lighting. But with the change of government, it is likely that the process will get a bit delayed. I will be visiting the NIT in a couple of days to take follow of the process,” mentioned Kashikar, a former national level shuttler.
Kashikar said that the BAI officials were of the view that air conditioning system is not needed inside the hall and present exhaust system would be sufficient to conduct the international level tournament.
“As the next tournament will be held in Raipur in a day’s gap will have to provide the players transport service. We will be having a travel desk at the venue for the players,” informed Kashikar.
The present wooden courts are also too old and Kashikar said they would try to install new ones. “We will try to get funds from DPDC and re-lay the courts,” said Kashikar adding that “Yonex AS 40 Speed 2 shuttles will be used during the competition.”
A total of eight courts will be prepared. “Initially all eight courts will be used but from later stage only six will be used for the matches. Two courts might be used for warm-up,” informed Kashikar.
The NDBA Secretary said that the present changing rooms and toilets would also be upgraded for the international shuttlers.
The delegation was also satisfied with the present spectators gallery which is expected to be full during the six-day competition. Over a hundred international and national shuttlers are expected to participate in the first ever international level badminton competition in the city. The delegation also visited Raipur and inspected the venue there.
Nagpur has successfully hosted 82nd Senior National Badminton Championship at the Divisional Sports Complex in Mankapur in 2017.
It may be mentioned that the BWF, world badminton governing body, allotted two additional International Challenge tournaments to India last month. This was after BAI, through Maharashtra Badminton Association President and BAI Treasurer, requested for two more international level competitions in the country.
Officials from NDBA including Gurdeep Singh Arora, Anant Apte, Madhvi Headoo, Satyajeet Raut from OCW, Vaibhav Lade were also present during the inspection.