Weighing impact of US SC tariff ruling: Govt
   Date :22-Feb-2026

Weighing impact of US SC 
 
 
NEW DELHI :
 
THE Indian Government is studying the developments on the US tariffs and their implications, the Commerce Ministry said on Saturday. “We have noted the US Supreme Court judgement on tariffs yesterday (Friday). US President Donald Trump has also addressed a press conference in this regard. “Some steps have been announced by the US administration. We are studying all these developments for their implications,” the Ministry said. In a major setback to Trump’s pivotal economic agenda for his second term, the US Supreme Court, in a 6-3 verdict written by Chief Justice John Roberts, ruled that the tariffs imposed by the President on nations around the world were illegal and that he had exceeded his authority when he imposed the sweeping levies. Later, Trump’s proclamation, dated February 20, said:
 
“I impose, for a period of 150 days, a temporary import surcharge of 10 per cent ad valorem on articles imported into the United States, effective February 24, 2026”. It was later hiked to 15 per cent. The US had imposed a reciprocal tariff of 25 per cent on India in August. Later, an additional 25 per cent was imposed for buying Russian crude oil, taking the total tariffs on India to 50 per cent. Earlier this month, both countries agreed to finalise an interim trade deal, under which Washington will cut down the tariffs to 18 per cent. So far, the punitive 25 per cent has been removed. The remaining 25 per cent exists.
 
After the proclamation, the tariffs on Indian goods will now be 15 per cent. The 15 per cent levy is over and above the existing MFN or import duties in the US. In the wake of the US Supreme Court’s decision on tariffs, Trump said there is no change in the trade deal with India and emphasised that the India deal is on. To finalise the legal text for the first phase of the bilateral trade agreement, the Indian team is scheduled to meet its counterparts in Washington from February 23, 2026. During 2021-25, the US was India’s largest trading partner in goods.
 
The US accounts for about 18 per cent of India’s total exports, 6.22 per cent in imports and 10.73 per cent in bilateral trade. In 2024-25, the bilateral trade touched USD 186 billion (USD 86.5 billion exports and USD 45.3 billion imports). Government will study US Supreme Court tariff ruling: Union Minister Pralhad Joshi: UNION Minister Pralhad Joshi said the Centre will examine the recent US Supreme Court ruling on tariffs before issuing any official response, asserting that the matter falls under the purview of the Commerce Ministry and the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA). Speaking to reporters here on Saturday, Joshi said, “I have read in the media that the US top court has given some judgment and the Indian Government will study that, and whatever the reaction needs to be given, that will be given by the Commerce Ministry and MEA, not by me.” His remarks come after the US Supreme Court ruled 6-3 that the Trump administration exceeded its authority by invoking the International Emergency Economic Powers Act (IEEPA) of 1977 to impose sweeping import tariffs.
 
Chief Justice John Roberts, along with Justices Neil Gorsuch, Amy Coney Barrett and the three liberal justices, held that IEEPA does not authorise the president to levy duties, a power constitutionally vested in Congress. However, President Donald Trump termed the verdict a “terrible decision” and announced a fresh 10 per cent global tariff under Section 122 of the Trade Act of 1974, which allows temporary import surcharges for 150 days. Meanwhile, Joshi also criticised the Indian Youth Congress for staging a shirtless protest during the India AI Summit. “It is the most shameful thing that the Congress party is behaving like this when 20 heads of state, 45 ministers and important functionaries from nearly 150 countries participated,” he said. “Instead of celebrating India’s performance, they are trying to create a ruckus. They are trying to become a hurdle for the growth of India,” he added. The protest on Friday saw Youth Congress cadres removing their shirts at the summit venue, accusing Prime Minister Narendra Modi of being “compromised.” Police later detained the protesters. In a statement, the Youth Congress said the demonstration was against a “compromised Prime Minister who has traded the identity of the country at the AI Summit.”